Cake SMASH! 😀
Portrait: defined by webster’s dictionary as:
“a painting, drawing, or photograph of a person that usually only includes the person’s head and shoulders”
“a detailed description of something or someone”
“a way of printing a page so that the shorter sides are on the top and bottom and the longer sides are on the left and right”
Portrait: as most people think of it:
- a photo of one person taken by a professional photographer meant to be displayed either at home, at work, or on social media (or all of the above–depending on the individual).
Portrait: as I see it as a photographer:
- a depiction of a person as they are in today’s present state or as they wish to be seen.
What do I mean by that (“as they wish to be seen”)?
- people have many talents. Some are happy with a self portrait.
- Others wish to be better photographed to catch a more flattering view of themselves than a selfie on a smart phone.
- Others wish to showcase a talent or career or activity that they have a passion for…something that gives their life meaning. Some hear the word “portrait” and think of a Family Session. Others think of the old time portraits that were painted and hung on a castle wall…(such as depictions of Eleanor of Aquitaine, King Richard the Lionheart, the Tzars of Russia, Leonardo Da Vinci’s Mona Lisa)…
For those that wish to be showcased in the talent or career or activity that gives their life meaning (be that motherhood, fatherhood, swimming, golf, baseball, cosplay, re-enactments, hockey, ice skating, skate boarding, botany, horticulturist, executive, non-profit leader, photographer, etc) it represents a challenge to represent that person in their passion. That is the portrait I love to help create. Portraits are a team effort for without the client there to share their passion, their career, their life, I have no canvas on which to create a portrait….
Such a creation should be shared. Most of us share EVERYTHING on social media. I love social media. It is a great way to share life and passion…especially with those you don’t see every day. However, it is not the ultimate goal. The goal of a photographer when creating a portrait is to help you create something that you can personally share with all who enter your home. Not just those who are on social media. To personally share art with those that matter, Portraits are hung in your home to show your Passion, your love for life, to showcase YOU, Your FAMILY, to show what matters to YOU.
For this reason, cd’s are given with purchases of photographs purchased. Not given as a collection of an entire session to be lost in cyberspace. Art is not digitally stored on a device to get shoved away in a drawer or a box or a closet. Art and Love are meant to be shared… to be part of your home. So please understand when a photographer says “I don’t offer cd’s”…what they are truly saying to you is I want you to have something special for your home that shows the love you have for your journey through the adventure we call LIFE. You deserve something unique and something to display. Not something to hide on a device in a drawer or closet or box in that closet….because YOU are special.
More examples of past Art/Portraits from the past…which demonstrate art, presence, passion, and define WHO they were and HOW we see them….
Eleanor of Aquitaine (left) and Nicholas II-the last Tzar of Russia (right).